Sunday, May 20, 2012

Live: Chavez @ Bowery Ballroom 5.18.12

It's been a odd time of nostalgia for me and Chavez, as if my calculations are correct, I saw them played their first ever show with The Afghan Whigs eighteen years ago at the old Academy. Fast forward to today and The Whigs are playing their first show in thirteen years next week at Bowery and Chavez made their return to the New York stage in easily six or seven a mere five days before. There are worse histories to be doomed to repeat.

I rolled up to Bowery minutes before the gents took the stage, Sweeney's twitter telling me the set time and my spider sense telling me that any band called Endless Boogie opening for Chavez is well worth missing. The gents took the stage with little fanfare and launched into Nailed To The Blank Spot. Save for Marshall having a shorter haircut, the band pretty much looked and sounded exactly like they did the last I saw them. They have evidently been recording for a new record and save for at least one band member checking his notes on his iPad over the course, seemed to be in fine fettle for the live stage. Pretty much all of the Chavez canon was covered, with a new tune and the first jam they ever had revisited to close the proccedings. I still am pissed about missing the warm-up show at Lit Lounge, but Chavez kicked some pretty serious ass for some old guys. I'd definitely see them again. Here's a the set list, stolen from SetListFM.

R

No comments: