Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Maybach Music Group: Self Made Vol. 1

There's been kind of a bumper crop of hip-hop in the last couple months. After months where I spent all my time ripping Joell Ortiz freestyles, there have been easily six or seven records I'm actually interested in listening to.

It's even more bizarre that one of them is a Rick Ross posse record. His crew is called Maybach Music Group and he's got Wale, Pill and Meek Millz down, as well as the weed carrier unit extraordinaire Triple C's. The record is called Self Made Vol. 1. I can honestly say I wouldn't have given this a second look had it not been for Hot 97 playing Tupac Back in heavy rotation. I hated hard for a day or so and then caught the bug like the flu. While that track is undoubtably pretty aces, the rest of the record is pretty Meh.

Ross rhymes harder and harder, which begs the question who he's paying to ghostwrite, as he is coming hard with the bars. I want to like Wale, but have yet to find anything that really works for me. The other two seem to be your average overly tattooed new school cats rhyming about the shit they have. I prefer my rap with some swagger, and everybody here can rhyme a least a bit, but it gets a little old over ten tracks, even with a banger like Tupac Back.

R

No comments: