Saturday, April 10, 2010

1.6 Band - The Checkered Pasts of All Kings Present

I was never the hugest fan of 1.6 Band back in the day. I suspect it was mostly that they weren't Beyond, who I was pretty queer for. Fast forward too many years to my unexpected attendance and subsequent enjoyment of their reunion show at Cake Shop. I appropriated the discography soon after byt really figured that they'd be more of a reference part of the JS-NYC iTunes than anything.

1.6 had kind of a Minutemen thing going on back in the day. Don't run with that, but they played knowledgeably outside enough to warrant some semblance of a comparison. The newer stuff reminds me a little bit of the early (read: less keyboardy) Dismemberment Plan catalog. I would argue that they sound more DC than their predominately NJ roots, but those in the know might disagree. Either way, there are four songs on the 7" (with download code) and I gotta say that all of them are pretty great. There are even a couple Lifter Puller-y moments, mostly in the vocal cadence of Burning Coal and The Pets Still Think He's Coming Back keeps it interesting with some Quicksand-y riffery. I'm impressed, for whatever that's worth. Pick it up here from your new friends at Metastasis Records and look out for a handful of East Coast dates in June.

R

No comments: